First Church Jamaica Plain Unitarian Universalist is in search for an Interim Director of Religious Education. Please see below for the job description as well as how to apply.
Interim Director of Religious Education (DRE)
First Church Unitarian Universalist
Reports to: Parish Minister and Religious Education (RE) Committee
Performance Review: Conducted by Parish Minister and Personnel Committee with input from Religious Education Committee
Hours: Generally 15 hours/week, September-June (the “church year”), with some hours in August to plan for the coming year. Some office hours should overlap with those of the Minister and church office hours.
This is a one-year (the “church year”) interim position.
- Guide the congregation through a process to identify the most effective ways to:
- Build the RE program for children and youth
- Market the RE program to attract more participants
- Oversee and manage the administrative aspects of the RE program
- Provide religious education to children and youth while providing support and education to parents on RE curricula
- Provide intergenerational workshops
- Manage the RE program
Qualifications and Education: any of the following qualifications or combination of qualifications is preferred:
- An academic degree in RE or a related field
- RE coursework through the UUA Renaissance Module
- Experience managing or developing a RE program
- Experience volunteering in RE
- Experience working with children in an educational or church setting
- Knowledge of UUA principles
- Ability to collaborate well with church members, minister and staff, and children.
- Highly organized.
- Proficiency with Word, Power Point, and Excel.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Build a new and sustainable RE program
- Provide suggestions and guidance in developing enhanced or new programs including curricula, models of organizing RE, and engaging or teaching children and youth.
- Solicit feedback from First Parish congregation members on RE program.
- Research “best practices” in religious education for children and youth.
Develop a new Religious Education Committee
- Establish purpose of committee.
- Solicit new members.
- Develop leadership capabilities of committee members.
- Meet monthly, or as needed, with committee and chair(s).
Manage RE program
- Collaborate with RE committee, and minister, to select curricula and schedule weekly RE sessions.
- Provide RE curricula and resources for teachers and facilitators.
- Recruit, and provide training for, teachers.
- Lead, or facilitate leadership of, children’s’ chapel.
- Help to develop teaching materials for nursery age children.
- Organize and maintain administrative files including permission forms, attendance and other related materials.
- Provide monthly updates on RE programs and participation to Minister, standing and RE committees.
- Participate in any First Church staff meetings.
- Meet with Minister weekly.
- Develop opportunities or system to educate parents on RE curricula, and spiritual development of children and youth.
- Arrange for volunteers to shop for and set out art supplies as needed each Sunday.
- Ensure snacks are provided each Sunday.
- Supervise nursery babysitter(s), and confirm payment.
- Support those parts of the music program which are relevant to children and youth such as the annual Christmas pageant.
Market RE program
- Develop an active presence on First Church website, weekly newsletter and other internal and community-based media.
- Work with other First Church committees and congregation members to market or publicize RE program to current and new church members, as well as external community.
- Write Order of Service announcements.
- Prepare marketing materials with RE committee, other staff, or congregation members.
- Participate in First Church activities sufficiently to let people know of RE programs and to develop strong connection between RE and the rest of the congregation.
Other duties as needed.
A CORI background check is conducted on all new staff and contract workers at First Church and must be successfully passed as a condition of employment.
For more information about this position e-mail First Church at: FirstChJP@aol.com. If you are applying, please submit a resume and cover letter with your e-mail. For all correspondence about this position please put “Interim DRE” in the subject line of your e-mail.