All new items will be listed first in each section and preceded by three asterisks (***).
Find us online at:http://www.firstchurchjp.org; ;
“Like” us on Facebook! facebook.com/firstchurchjp
Follow us on Twitter! @firstchurchjp
Our apologies for the problem with formatting in this weeks emailed version of the below newsletter.
Congregational Administrator on Leave
Julia Terry, our congregational Administrator, will be working remotely from Alaska until late August. Office hours will be covered by Luz Carrazola. All communications to the church should go through the church email: firstname.lastname@example.org. All materials for the weekly newsletter must be sent to the church email by Wednesday at 8 pm or they will not be included.
***This Sunday, July 22nd, at First Church***
Join us at Summer Services with Abby Krueger, preaching a sermon titled “Paying Attention.” We will meet in the Parish Hall.
SAVE THE DATE – UPCOMING EVENTS
***Next Sunday, July 29th***
Join us with guest preacher, Mick Hirsch.
Summer Services Schedule
Please note the following dates and the guest preachers we will be welcoming to First Church Summer Services. For sermon titles and bios, visit our website at http://www.firstchurchjp.org/
|8/19||Margaret Suby & David Dorney|
|9/2||Alice Kociemba/ Rev. Terry Burk|
WAYS TO CONNECT OR CONTRIBUTE
There will be another book sale the first Thursday of August. We could use help with organization and more. Contact Monroe for more details.
There are a number of items in the office lost and found, including keys, glasses, a watch and various clothing items. All items which remain unclaimed by mid August will be donated to a thrift store. Please check the lost and found and see if any of the items belong to you!
If you have updates or additions to the online church calendar, please send them to Julia at email@example.com. The yearly calendar events will be added over the next two weeks.
***Service Auction Updates***
The Service Auction was a great success, but not all the services have been paid for. Please get your check into church and, please, do not forget to write “Service Auction” on the memo line. If you have any questions, email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
***Marantz dictation equipment needs a good home***
My office is moving so we’re in the process of getting rid of things. One of
the things is a suitcase with Marantz dictation equipment in it. It’s in good
condition. Does anyone have a use for it or know someone who may be able to use it? I’d much rather find it a good home than throw it away! Please get in touch with Alice Hawley.
Monday, June 23 will be the last Monday yoga class until Sept. 3. This will be co-teacher Amy Cameron’s last Monday before she moves to Newburyport. Margaret will return on August 3 with co-teacher Debby Allen. Join us on Monday for Evening Yoga (6:45 – 8:15 pm) for 90 minutes of stretching, flexing and core strengthening (suggested donation: $15). Please try to be on time, out of respect for other attendees. Some mats and props will be available to borrow. Bring a friend! For any questions about yoga, contact Margaret. All donations go to the work of First Church in our community.
Please bring back a string, twig, vine, ribbon, paper, or bit of fabric from your summer travels! We will weave together our summer souvenirs, as we weave together our congregation in September. (We can add buttons, shells….) Speak to Ellen McGuire for more information – email email@example.com.
***HIRING: Interim Director of Religious Education (DRE)***
First Church Unitarian Universalist
Reports to: Parish Minister and Religious Education (RE) Committee
Performance Review: Conducted by Parish Minister and Personnel Committee with input from Religious Education Committee
Hours: Generally 15 hours/week, September-June (the “church year”), with some hours in August to plan for the coming year. Some office hours should overlap with those of the Minister and church office hours.
This is a one-year (the “church year”) interim position.
- Guide the congregation through a process to identify the most effective ways to:
- Build the RE program for children and youth
- Market the RE program to attract more participants
- Oversee and manage the administrative aspects of the RE program
- Provide religious education to children and youth while providing support and education to parents on RE curricula
- Provide intergenerational workshops
- Manage the RE program
Qualifications and Education: any of the following qualifications or combination of qualifications is preferred:
- An academic degree in RE or a related field
- RE coursework through the UUA Renaissance Module
- Experience managing or developing a RE program
- Experience volunteering in RE
- Experience working with children in an educational or church setting
- Knowledge of UUA principles
- Ability to collaborate well with church members, minister and staff, and children.
- Highly organized.
- Proficiency with Word, Power Point, and Excel.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Build a new and sustainable RE program
- Provide suggestions and guidance in developing enhanced or new programs including curricula, models of organizing RE, and engaging or teaching children and youth.
- Solicit feedback from First Parish congregation members on RE program.
- Research “best practices” in religious education for children and youth.
Develop a new Religious Education Committee
- Establish purpose of committee.
- Solicit new members.
- Develop leadership capabilities of committee members.
- Meet monthly, or as needed, with committee and chair(s).
Manage RE program
- Collaborate with RE committee, and minister, to select curricula and schedule weekly RE sessions.
- Provide RE curricula and resources for teachers and facilitators.
- Recruit, and provide training for, teachers.
- Lead, or facilitate leadership of, children’s’ chapel.
- Help to develop teaching materials for nursery age children.
- Organize and maintain administrative files including permission forms, attendance and other related materials.
- Provide monthly updates on RE programs and participation to Minister, standing and RE committees.
- Participate in any First Church staff meetings.
- Meet with Minister weekly.
- Develop opportunities or system to educate parents on RE curricula, and spiritual development of children and youth.
- Arrange for volunteers to shop for and set out art supplies as needed each Sunday.
- Ensure snacks are provided each Sunday.
- Supervise nursery babysitter(s), and confirm payment.
- Support those parts of the music program which are relevant to children and youth such as the annual Christmas pageant.
Market RE program
- Develop an active presence on First Church website, weekly newsletter and other internal and community-based media.
- Work with other First Church committees and congregation members to market or publicize RE program to current and new church members, as well as external community.
- Write Order of Service announcements.
- Prepare marketing materials with RE committee, other staff, or congregation members.
- Participate in First Church activities sufficiently to let people know of RE programs and to develop strong connection between RE and the rest of the congregation.
Other duties as needed.
A CORI background check is conducted on all new staff and contract workers at First Church and must be successfully passed as a condition of employment.
For more information about this position e-mail First Church at: FirstChJP@aol.com. If you are applying, please submit a resume and cover letter with your e-mail. For all correspondence about this position please put “Interim DRE” in the subject line of your e-mail.
ONGOING CHURCH HAPPENINGS
Did you know that you can rent the Parish Hall or a smaller space for a celebration, group meeting or other event?? Contact Monroe Heyman at 617 796-8613 or MHeym02130@aol.com for more details.
When submitting items for the weekly newsletter, please limit them to 250 words or less. If you have a special event that may need more space, please check in with Julia (Firstchjp@aol.com) for special parameters. If you would like your announcement included in the weekly newsletter, please send them in by Wednesday evening at 8 pm. Announcements will run for no longer than 3 weeks, unless there are specific date parameters. You may resubmit your item after it has run for the allotted time.
Regular office hours are currently 9 am to 1 pm, Tuesdays and Thursdays. You may contact the church administrator, Julia, by emailing Firstchjp@aol.com.
Julia Terry, Congregational Administrator
First Church in Jamaica Plain UU
6 Eliot Street
P.O. Box 300186
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130